Wrongful Termination Lawyer NYC
Protecting Workers From Wrongful Termination in NY
Were you recently fired from your job? Do you suspect that you were fired illegally or wrongfully terminated? Most jobs are “at-will” which means that an employee may be fired for any reason (or no reason at all) at any time, however, there are exceptions to this. If you believe that you were wrongfully released from your work, depending on the details of the termination, you may have a case against your former employer and may sue them for wrongful termination.
Is New York At Will Employment?
New York has “at-will” employment. This means that an employer may fire an employee at any time for any reason. Unfortunately, some employers abuse this principal in order to let employees go for illegitimate reasons, such as due to their race, their refusal to participate in illegal activities, or as retaliation for whistleblowing.
If you were released by your employer and you believe it was done unjustly, do not hesitate to contact a New York wrongful termination lawyer from Nisar Law Group, P.C.. We are backed by years of experience in employment law and want to fight for what is right based on termination laws. If you faced wrongful termination in NY, you deserve justice! Call (646) 760-6493 to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers.
Hire a New York Wrongful Termination Lawyer at Nisar Law Group, P.C.
Our trial-tested wrongful termination lawyers believe that employers must be held accountable when they knowingly violate worker rights and are prepared to go the distance in pursuit of justice on your behalf.
Reasons to trust our wrongful termination lawyers with your case:
- 10.0 “Superb” Avvo Rating for client satisfaction
- Included in New York Metro Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠
- Named to the “Nation’s Top One Percent” by the NADC
- Numerous jury and bench trials handled
What Is Considered Wrongful Termination in New York?
While at-will law does give employers the right to terminate an employee for almost any reason, or even no reason at all in some cases, employees are afforded numerous state and federal protections against being fired for illegal or discriminatory reasons. Our team of wrongful termination NYC lawyers can examine the circumstances of your case and determine the most appropriate course of action to pursue.
Below are common wrongful termination in NY examples:
- Employee discrimination: Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1984, employers are prohibited from taking negative actions against an employee based on their sex, race, national origin, religion, age, disability or other protected characteristic.
- Retaliation: Employees cannot be punished for engaging in legal actions such as filing a complaint about harassment, discrimination, or whistleblowing. While retaliation may include acts as drastic as wrongful termination, other prohibited acts include targeted demotions, sudden transfers, or promotion denials.
- Breach of contract: An employment contract may sometimes specify the terms under which an employee may be terminated. A case may sometimes be made that a worker is not an at-will employee if their contract includes clauses which relate to job security.
- Policy violations: Workers may not be released for engaging in state or federally protected acts, such as taking time off for jury duty, to vote, or to serve in the armed forces.
- Can I Be Fired for Being Pregnant?
- Can I be Fired for Requesting a Private Room to Breastfeed at Work?
- Understand your employment rights: Familiarize yourself with New York's employment laws and regulations, including the protections against wrongful termination. Consult resources such as the New York State Department of Labor or seek legal advice from a wrongful termination lawyer in New York at Nisar Law Group, P.C. to understand your rights and potential legal remedies.
- Gather evidence: Collect any evidence related to your unlawful termination, such as employment contracts, performance evaluations, emails, or witness statements. This evidence can support your claims and help build a strong case.
- Consult with an experienced lawyer for wrongful termination: Seek legal advice from a lawyer who specializes in wrongful termination in New York. They can provide you with a clear understanding of the legal process, assess the strength of your case, and guide you on the best course of action.
- File a complaint or lawsuit: Depending on the circumstances, you may choose to file a complaint with a government agency such as the New York State Division of Human Rights or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), or pursue a wrongful termination lawsuit in court. Your lawyer can assist you in determining the most appropriate course of action based on your specific case.
- Document all relevant details: Keep a record of important dates, conversations, and incidents related to your termination. This documentation can help support your claims and provide a clear timeline of events.
- Seek legal representation with experience: Look for a wrongful termination lawyer who has years of experience handling similar cases in New York. Choose a lawyer who provides representation with clarity, honesty, and integrity to ensure that your best interests are represented throughout the legal process.
For more wrongful termination legal advice, consult with a qualified attorney at Nisar Law Group, P.C.. We can provide you with personalized guidance and help you navigate the complexities of your specific case. We are ready to advocate on your behalf -- do not hesitate to reach out to us today.
What To Do If Your Employer Complains About Your Performance
How Do You Prove Wrongful Termination?
If you experienced wrongful termination in NY and are putting together information for a lawsuit, you must have evidence that shows that your employer unjustly let you go. Pieces of evidence that may be used for your wrongful termination case include copies of emails, eyewitness statements, performance reviews, recordings of meetings, and more.
Do not wait to put your case together. Get in touch with a New York wrongful termination attorney at Nisar Law Group, P.C. as soon as you can. Waiting may make it more difficult to create a solid case -- as time goes on, your witnesses may not remember past incidents as well or it may simply be difficult to contact them. You may even lose access to paper trails or records that may be useful to your case. If you believe that you have a case, contact us right away. Call (646) 760-6493 to speak with an attorney.
Discuss Your New York Wrongful Termination Case Today
Proving a wrongful termination case can oftentimes be challenging as employers are rarely willing to admit any sort of wrongdoing. At Nisar Law Group, P.C., our wrongful termination lawyers in Queens, NY have the breadth and depth of knowledge to craft a custom-tailored strategy on your behalf and maximize your chances of securing a favorable outcome for your claim. We understand the struggles you face, and we are prepared to do everything within our power to ensure your best interests are protected during this frustrating time.
A skilled wrongful termination lawyer in NYC is standing by at Nisar Law Group, P.C. to help you. Call (646) 760-6493 to request a case evaluation.
Seasoned Litigators Who Have Handled Numerous Jury & Bench Trials
Providing Representation with Clarity, Honesty & Integrity
Building Long-Term Affiliations & Relationships
Offering Consultations for All Case Types We Handle
In good hands!
After 2 years of suffering abuse and discrimination by my bosses, I finally decided to trust Lawyer Nisar to help me gain justice against their abuse.- Maria
Able to resolve my case in just 4 months.
Great attorneys to work with. They were upfront with my scenarios and stayed on top of the matter I had with my employer.- Lidia
Took his time to listen to everything I had to say.
Listened to everything I had to say and then asked me questions regarding my situation. He really took his time to listen to everything I had to say.- Bibi